Sunday, May 20, 2012

my Pa

I've been absent lately...
The last few days have seemed like 3 weeks...
I went to see my Pa Friday before last and that next Tuesday he went to heaven. I was so proud to watch Cutter shake his hand when we left the nursing home.
We all knew it was coming, he had been sick for a long time. But that somehow didn't make it any easier. Knowing. This cowboy who raised my Daddy; {the man whom I love & adore like every little girl does her daddy}. My Pa ranked right up there on the daddy scale.
He was a cowboy in the old fashioned sort of way: He rolled his own Prince Albert cigarettes, wore pearl snap button up shirts, a dusty crinkled cowboy hat, and just one cuff rolled up at the bottom of his wranglers. Don't forget the eye patch, yes, like a pirate. :)
I remember Pa ALWAYS had a new animal from the sale barn, usually a horse! That's what he did - swap, trade, buy, sell. But not just animals... anything! And my sister & I never left his house empty handed. It was usually money, whether it was just one dollar or twenty.
We all have something to remember and cherish of him forever. Pa gave Avery & Cutter a bag full of half dollar coins about a year ago, which I'm sure they will try to spend on nonsense like lip gloss or candy. Cody bought an old pistol from him years ago that I think we are going to get back in working order. Can you paint those things? How cute would that be?! ha, I can hear him laughing at things I'd say, that really weren't funny, but he agreed anyway.
Then there's his saddle. I can't begin to tell yALL how special that thing is to me. It's displayed on my fancy saddle rack in the kitchen {that my sweet husband made for me}. YaLL who've been out, you know the one.
I swore I wouldn't get all emotional with this blog thing, but if there's anything I want my babies to remember when or if they look back and read it... this cowboy right here is definitely one to remember.
I miss him like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment